FAQ | Custom Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre
Guelph & Milton

Q: Do I need a referral?

A: No, you do not need a doctor ‘s referral to see us or to use our services. Some employee health benefits may require a physician’s referral for reimbursement, but usually they do not.

If you are coming for orthotics, insurance companies require a prescription. A chiropodist can write that prescription to go with your claim forms during your visit.

Medical compression socks often require a prescription from a medical doctor. Check with your individual insurance policy, as regulations can vary between specific policies.

Q: Are you covered by OHIP?

A: No. But chiropodist visits, custom orthotics and orthopedic shoes are covered by many employee health benefit packages.

Please check your individual policy for details. If you have questions about your insurance please call your insurance provider. We have a list of phone numbers here.

You may also bring your insurance documents to the office, we’re happy to help you. 

Q: Can you bill my health insurance directly?

A: Yes, sometimes we can. Many health insurance providers allow direct billing for chiropody and podiatry assessments and office treatments.

Each plan with each policy is different, and we encourage plan holders to contact their insurance company regarding the availability of direct billing.

Unfortunately, insurance companies still require plan members to submit paid receipts for reimbursement for medical supplies (orthotics and footwear).

Please check your individual policy for details. We are happy to bill WSIB and DVA as well where applicable.

Q: Do I need to book an appointment?

A: Yes. Please call or email us and we will be happy to arrange a time suitable for you.

Q: What do I need to bring to my appointment?

A: Please bring a list of current medications with you. If you are experiencing foot pain, or are coming in for custom orthotics, please bring your regular footwear with you as well as any old orthotics that you may have. 

We kindly ask new patients to arrive 5-10 minutes ahead of your scheduled appointment time so that you can complete our patient intake forms.

You can also download and print our new patient intake forms here and bring them in with you.

Q: Do you accept WSIB or Veterans Affairs?

A: Yes. We are registered providers for WSIB and Veterans Affairs Canada. We will be happy to bill these agencies directly for you.

Please bring us your ID numbers and for WSIB, the phone number for your claims adjudicator.

I am a registered chiropodist and foot care specialist and have been helping patients for over 20 years.

There are 600 registered chiropodists in Ontario and only 60 podiatrists. Chiropodists and podiatrists provide the same care. 

Chiropodists today must complete 7 years of post-secondary education. We do complete case management of foot problems, assessing and treating the entire foot and its complications.

Chiropodist Podiatry Foot Specialist Trina Scarrow Treating Feet

Chiropodist Trina Scarrow, BSc, DCh treating a patient with foot pain — for proper foot functioning and overall well-being.

Let's Connect

Are you ready to get your feet taken care of by an experienced foot specialist and a professional chiropodist? I have two locations in Guelph and Milton.

I provide full biomechanical exams and gait analysis — I will be able to help address your foot discomfort by foot care treatment, custom orthotics and orthopaedic shoes, surgery, medication, laser or physical therapy.

Chiropodists and podiatrists are the only regulated health professions who have the ability to prescribe and provide custom orthotics as defined in the Regulated Health Profession Act of Ontario.

I want to help get your feet functioning better so you can feel better.