Bunion Treatment in Guelph & Milton
Chiropodist and Foot Specialist Trina Scarrow, BSc, DCH, has been treating bunions in patients using minimally invasive techniques for over 20 years.
A bunion is a bony bump that forms on the joint at the base of your big toe causing:
- A visible bump
- Swelling, redness or soreness
- Persistent pain in your big toe
Contrary to what people may think, bunions are not caused by shoes. Bunions are actually caused by an imbalance in the forces through the foot and may be aggravated or even accelerated by footwear choices.
Developing a bunion takes time, you don’t just wake up one morning and have one. It is progressive and how fast it develops depends on a variety of factors including the amount of excess foot motion you have.This is hereditary and tends to run in families.
As a registered Chiropodist, I provide a full biomechanical assessment to see how your biomechanics, gait and footwear are affecting your feet and resulting bunion. I then provide a prescription to help alleviate your condition.
Treatment for Bunions
Since bunions are bone deformities, they do not resolve themselves. At Custom Foot Clinic & Orthotic Centre in Guelph and Milton, we provide non-surgical care of bunions to eliminate symptoms, halt or decrease progression:
- We make custom orthotics to to help stabilize the joint and place the foot in the correct position for walking and standing.
- We recommend carefully fitted footwear of orthopaedic shoes to rebalance directional forces on your feet.
- We may use splints of different types to reshape the joints gently.
- We may recommend physical therapy and exercises to maintain joint mobility and prevent stiffness or arthritis.
- We may use protective padding to eliminate the friction against shoes and help alleviate inflammation and skin problems.
- We will remove any corns or calluses on your foot.
- We may prescribe medication to help decrease pain and inflammation.
Depending on the size of the enlargement, misalignment of the toe, and pain experienced, non-surgical treatments may not be adequate to prevent progressive damage from bunions. In this case, bunion surgery may be advised to remove the bunion and realign the toe.
Surgery must be considered carefully because often the pain of bunions can be adequately controlled or eliminated with proper orthotics, footwear and physical therapy. Contact us today for an assessment.
Trina Scarrow, BSc, DCh, is a Registered Chiropodist and Foot Specialist who has been helping patients for over 20 years.
Chiropodists and Podiatrists are the only regulated health professionals who specialize in treating conditions of the foot. In Ontario, there are 600 Registered Chiropodists and only 60 Podiatrists.
Chiropodists today must complete 7 years of post-secondary education before they get their professional designation. Chiropodists do complete case management of foot problems, including assessment, treatment and ongoing care.
Chiropodist Trina Scarrow, BSc, DCh treating a patient with foot pain.
I provide a full assessment, biomechanical exams, and gait analysis. I will be able to help address your foot discomfort with a variety of techniques including foot care treatment, custom orthotics, orthopaedic shoes, medication, laser, or physical therapy.
I can help get your feet functioning better to help you feel better. Contact me today.